What to eat: Day 3
ISTANBUL - Hürriyet Daily News
Breakfast (8 a.m.-9 a.m.)
• Two medium boiled eggs (or 2-egg omelet cooked lightly in butter)
• 8 or 10 unsalted olives (green or black)
• Feta cheese, the size of one’s palm
• 2 or 3 sweet red peppers
• Sugar-free green tea or another tea
• Half-glass of dried pistachios
Snacks (optional) (10 a.m.)
• Unsalted peanuts
• Sugar-free tea or water with fresh lemon
Lunch (1 p.m.-2 p.m.)
• Green beans (taze fasulye) stewed in olive oil
• 3 or 4 grilled meatballs (köfte)
• A bowl of yogurt*
• Grated carrot and radish salad with a spoonful of linseed oil
• Plenty of water or ayran*
Snacks (optional) (3 p.m.)
• An apple or a pear
• A bowl of yogurt
Dinner (6 p.m.-7 p.m.)*
• 3 or 4 lamb cutlets or a grilled steak as large as your palm
• Artichokes in olive oil, or fresh fava bean stew
• Mixed salad with a spoonful of linseed oil*
1- Yogurt should be made according to the traditional recipe (included the May 8 edition of the Daily News). Low-fat products are prohibited.
2- Ayran is a traditional Turkish drink: Thinned yogurt with a little salt.
3- Salads should be seasoned only with natural vinegar, fresh lemons, extra virgin olive oil, or ground rock salt. The seasoning should include linseed oil.
4- The Karatay diet does not allow any meals or snacks after 8 p.m., not even fruits.
5- The diet advises a 30- or 40-minute walk before going to bed