West Ham ban fans over pitch invasion
LONDON – Reuters
West Ham United issued lifetime bans to five individuals on March 22 for invading the pitch at the London Stadium during a 3-0 Premier League defeat by Burnley earlier this month.
Disgruntled supporters invaded the pitch during the club’s 14th league defeat of the season, while verbal abuse and coins were hurled at owners David Sullivan and David Gold.
“West Ham United can confirm that swift and decisive action has been taken against a number of spectators who breached stadium regulations or were found to have committed acts of severe violence and physical aggression at our recent Premier League match against Burnley,” the club said in a statement.
An unspecified number of supporters have also been banned for life for “violently throwing coins or objects with intent to injure or harm on the bridge directly in front of the Directors’ Box,” the club added.
West Ham said the investigation into the incidents remained ongoing and that the club expected to issue further bans before its next home game against Southampton on March 31.
The club is two points above the relegation zone in 17th place in the table.