LEADING NEWS SOURCE FOR TURKEY AND THE REGION

TURKEY > Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş stocks fall amid UEFA ban from European competitions

ISTANBUL

Print Page Send to friend »
Both Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe were involved in a match-fixing investigation that started July 3, 2011.

Both Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe were involved in a match-fixing investigation that started July 3, 2011.

Stocks of two of the four biggest Turkish clubs, Fenerbahçe and Beşiktaş, have been falling steadily after UEFA’s Control and Disciplinary Committee banned them from European competitions on match-fixing charges, while the stocks of the other two, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor, have been increasing.

The Beşiktaş stock price has fallen to 1.39 liras, a 4.14 percent decrease, and Fenerbahçe stock price to 27.90 liras, an 8.22 percent decrease this morning while the stock price of Galatasaray has been at around 30.70 liras marking a 4.07 increase, and Trabzonspor at around 6.68 liras in a 9.51 percent increase.

Beşiktaş has been banned for one year, while Fenerbahçe received a two-year ban, with an additional one year possible if a similar infraction is committed within a probationary period of five years.

The two clubs have filed appeals. If the appeals of both clubs are rejected, Bursaspor, who came fourth in the table, will take Fenerbahçe’s spot in the Champions League, while Kayserispor, who came fifth, will participate in the Europa League instead of Beşiktaş. Istanbul minnows Kasımpaşa will take the Europa League seat vacated by Bursaspor to participate in the first European competition in their history.

UEFA bans Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe from European competitions


UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Committee has banned Beşiktaş and Fenerbahçe from European competitions on match-fixing charges. Beşiktaş has been banned for one year, while Fenerbahçe has received a two year ban, with an additional one year possible if a similar infraction is committed within a probationary period of five years.

Beşiktaş's Chairman Fikret Orman said that they had not expected such a decision, adding that they would be filing an appeal and applying to the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) if necessary.

The club has three days to appeal the decision. UEFA returned the report on former official Serdar Adalı and former coach Tayfur Havutçu, both sentenced to one year and three months in jail, to the inspector on the case. The inspector is said to be preparing a new report before making a definitive ruling. 

Fenerbahçe also said in a statement that it would appeal the ruling.

Bursa, Kayseri and Kasımpaşa to take Europe ticket

If the appeals of both clubs are rejected, Bursaspor, who came fourth in the table, will take Fenerbahçe's spot in the Champions League, while Kayserispor, who came fifth, will participate in the Europa League instead of Beşiktaş. Istanbul minnows Kasımpaşa will take the Europa League seat vacated by Bursaspor to participate in the first European competition in their history.

Both Istanbul clubs and their executives were involved in a match-fixing investigation that started July 3, 2011, regarding a number of games in the 2010-2011 season, at the end of which Fenerbahçe was crowned as champion. 

Fenerbahçe was banned for a year from participating to European competitions upon a decision from the Turkish Football Federation, while Beşiktaş could not compete last year due to financial woes.

June/25/2013

PRINTER FRIENDLY Send to friend »

MOST POPULAR

AcerPro S.I.P.A HTML & CSS Agency