LEADING NEWS SOURCE FOR TURKEY AND THE REGION

POLITICS > Two additional prosecutors appointed to corruption probe in Turkey

ISTANBUL

Print Page Send to friend »
Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin has denied claims that there was an ongoing move to dismiss the prosecutors of the case. DHA photo

Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin has denied claims that there was an ongoing move to dismiss the prosecutors of the case. DHA photo

The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has announced that two additional prosecutors had been appointed to the massive and far-reaching corruption investigation, raising the number of prosecutors working in the case to four.

The office of chief prosecutor Turan Çolakkadı released a statement, saying two new prosecutors, whose names were not disclosed, had been appointed to work alongside Istanbul public prosecutors Celal Kara and Mehmet Yüzgeç, two prosecutors already looking into the probe.

“Considering the scope of the investigation, the numerous suspects, the necessity of ending the suspects’ procedures within the legal detention period and for the quick collection of evidence, as well as an immediate completion of the probe, two more public prosecutors have been appointed as has been done in previous, comprehensive cases,” a written statement released by the chief prosecutor’s office said.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) had ruled out the claims that Zekeriya Öz, the Istanbul deputy chief prosecutor who was supervising the prosecutors, was removed from his duty.

Turkey's justice minister rules out dismissal of prosecutors in alleged corruption case


Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin has dismissed main opposition claims and online rumors that the prosecutors who launched one of Turkey's biggest-ever tender fraud and bribery operations on Dec. 17 would be removed from their duties.
 
Rumors claiming that the prosecutors looking into the case, Istanbul public prosecutors Celal Kara and Mehmet Yüzgeç, had been removed from the case spread through social networks in the evening hours of Dec. 17.
 
When asked whether there was an ongoing move to dismiss the prosecutors of the case, Ergin denied the claims.
 
Ergin told the Hürriyet Daily News that his ministry had not intervened into the probe and that no extraordinary meeting of the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) was expected for the morning of Dec. 18.
 
He also denied media reports claiming he was aborting campaigning in Hatay, where he was recently named as the ruling Justice and Development Party's (AKP) mayoral candidate, to return to Ankara for an urgent HSYK meeting.
 
"It's all false news," he said, adding that he returned to Ankara to join a meeting of his party scheduled at 11 a.m. by AKP deputy head Hüseyin Çelik.
 
In line with the online rumors, main opposition Republican People’s Party leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu expressed his concerns over the possible dismissal of the prosecutors who launched the corruption operation, given that a similar fate befell the prosecutors of the Deniz Feneri (Lighthouse) charity case.
 
"I hope these prosecutors [looking into the recent corruption case] won't experience the same things as happened to the Deniz Feneri prosecutors," Kılıçdaroğlu said, adding that his party was following the developments “very closely.”
 
Three prosecutors were removed from a probe into the Deniz Feneri charity in August 2011 on the grounds that they had allegedly falsified documents used in the probe and abused their office. They were later acquitted in November 2012. 

December/18/2013

PRINTER FRIENDLY Send to friend »

READER COMMENTS

Notice on comments

Scandi Navian

12/19/2013 10:19:02 AM

I suggest the esteemed minister do like they have always done before: re-categorize the case as about terrorism - then no need to think about legal detention periods any more. Case solved...

american american

12/19/2013 12:13:32 AM

that man looks very confused...he is the justice minister.

cezer "çapulcu" skonore

12/18/2013 11:07:03 PM

If you cannot remove existing ones, you should add your own kind to them.

Tekion Particle

12/18/2013 8:25:02 PM

Whoever is behind this should also investigate all AKP lawmakers including the cabinet ministers and the dictator himself. It is time to throw out the garbage.

Landos Landos

12/18/2013 5:39:51 PM

The 'two new Prosecutors' are probably AKP functionaries, assigned to spike the case and keep it from progressing. These actions don't happen in a vacuum.

Red Tail

12/18/2013 5:09:41 PM

Who will be in charge? The newcomers or the original ones who brought this up?

Brian Irlanda

12/18/2013 2:26:50 PM

Has anyone asked President Gul for a comment on the situation?. Minute by minute the news is getting worse for the AKP.

Landos Landos

12/18/2013 2:26:42 PM

They haven't been dismissed-YET. But there will be government 'suggestions' they may be sued in Court for 'insulting' AKP figures. They'll be intimidated in dozens of unofficial ways. There are many methods this government uses to intimidate people, just watch!

Brian Irlanda

12/18/2013 11:24:13 AM

Maybe they will escape Tayyar. They have ruled out firing the prosecutors but they have already fired the police chiefs in charge of the investigations! What a joke.

Wishingstar 35

12/18/2013 11:06:32 AM

he forgot to say: "instead, we will dismiss police commissioners"
< >

MOST POPULAR

AcerPro S.I.P.A HTML & CSS Agency