The Russia Today report said Israeli planes left a military base inside Turkey. AFP Photo
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu
has denied claims that Israel
used a Turkish military base to launch an attack against Syria, saying the claims were complete lies and had no basis in reality.
“Turkey will neither be a part nor a partner of such ‘attacks.’ The ones who claim this want to damage Turkey’s power and reputation,” he said. “It is out of the question that Turkey and Israel
are part of a joint military operation.”
Israel has used a Turkish military base to launch an attack against Syria, according to an earlier report on the Russia
Today website. A high ranking Turkish official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also told the Hürriyet Daily News
warplanes had not come close to a "sensitive range" of Turkish air space.
The airstrike on July 5 in Latakia reportedly targeted Russian
Yakhont anti-ship missiles, a type of advanced weapon that Israeli officials previously said they would not allow to reach Syria. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
refused to confirm or deny Israeli involvement in the airstrike but a New York Times report, citing U.S. officials, said Israel
targeted advanced anti-ship cruise missiles.
Today report said Israeli planes left a military base inside Turkey and approached Latakia from the sea to make sure that they stayed out of Syrian airspace so they could not become a legitimate target for the Syrian air force.
Israel has repeatedly said it would take action to prevent what it calls “game changing” weapons, including chemical weapons and advanced guided missiles, from reaching Hezbollah or other hostile militant groups.