Turkish Cypriot president approves new government
NICOSIA – Anadolu Agency
Cihan PhotoTurkish Cypriot President Mustafa Akıncı has approved a new coalition government cabinet under Prime Minister Ömer Kalyoncu.
The move comes after former Prime Minister Ozkan Yorgancıoğlu stepped down on July 4 after losing a party leadership vote in June.
Two days later, Akıncı asked Republican Turkish Party-United Forces MP Kalyoncu to form a new government.
Kalyoncu’s party formed a coalition with the National Unity Party and announced the government’s new cabinet list after submitting it for the president’s approval on July 15.
The new cabinet members are as follows:
- Prime Minister: Ömer Soyer Kalyoncu
- Foreign Minister: Emine Çolak
- Finance Minister: Hasan Başoğlu
- Interior and Labor Minister: Aziz Gürpınar
- Economy, Industry and Trade Minister: Sunat Atun
- Public Works, Environment and Culture Minister: Kutlu Evren
- Transportation Minister: Tahsin Ertuğruloğlu
- National Education Minister: Kemal Dürüst
- Agriculture, Natural Resources and Food: Önder Sennaroğlu
- Health Minister: Salih İzbul
- Tourism Minister: Faiz Sucuoğlu
In the 50-deputy Turkish Cypriot Assembly, 26 seats are needed for a majority to form a government.
The Republican Turkish Party-United Forces has 21 seats and the National Unity Party has 18 seats, while the Democratic Party and Communal Democracy Party are represented with eight and three seats, respectively.