Sub Categories: » HOMEPAGE / TURKEY/ POLITICS
Tuesday, September 13 2011 , Your time is 15:58:00
ANKARA - Hurriyet Daily News
Targets in Syria have been bombed in response to a deadly attack that killed 5 people in southeastern Turkey, the Turkish Prime Ministry has said."These provocations against the safety of Turkey will not remain unanswered," the Prime Ministry said. "We have responded to the attack and bombed targets in Syria."
The response, as the Prime Ministry stated, came from officials of the Turkish Armed Forces at the border and was described as "self-defense."
United Nations General Secretariat Ban Ki-moon and Security Council Members were notified of both the attack and of Turkey's response.
An emergency NATO meeting had been summoned, and will take place in the upcoming hours.
The Prime Minister said Turkey's response abides with international law and came as self-defense.
A cross-border move is expected to be brought before Parliament later tonight.
The bombing came after an emergency meeting between the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Chief of General Staff Necdet Özel, Deputy Prime Minsiter Beşir Atalay and Justice Minister Sadullah Ergun.
Main opposition leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu cancelled all his planned events to attend the general assembly in the morning. Main opposition party members will meet tomorrow morning to decide on the party's attitude toward the possible cross border move.
Daily News - Follow us on