Striking Renault Turkey workers refuse employer’s offer
BURSA - Doğan News Agency
AA PhotoThe Turkish arm of French carmaker Renault on May 23 offered concessions including a cash lump sum to striking workers if they return to work, but the workers have rejected the offer and announced that they will continue their labor action.
The workers said they were ready to accept the company’s initial offer, but Renault’s employer union, the Metal Industrialists’ Union of Turkey (MESS), made revisions to the deal that were rejected by the workers on the grounds that it will not benefit employees.
In a statement on May 23, Oyak Renault said workers would not face disciplinary action and would receive a cash payment of 1,000 Turkish liras ($370) if production resumed at midnight on May 25. The results of financial improvement studies would be announced ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, due to start in mid-June, the company added.
Production at the company’s joint venture Oyak Renault has been halted since May 14 in a dispute with workers over pay and working conditions, which has also affected other producers in the northwestern city of Bursa, including Tofaş and Ford unit Ford Otosan.
The production in Tofaş and Ford Otosan as well as several auto part makers, including Coşkunöz and Mako, started again at the end of last week.