Six public prosecutors ‘assigned’ to train crash probe
Six public prosecutors have been assigned to an investigation over the derailment of a train in the Çorlu district of the northwestern province of Tekirdağ on July 8, which killed 24 people and injured 341, a chief public prosecutor has said.
“Six public prosecutors have been assigned regarding the investigation. A detailed analysis has been undertaken by two public prosecutors, a gendarmerie crime scene investigation team, and a five-member panel of experts,” Çorlu Chief Public Prosecutor Murat Yiğiter said in a statement on July 10, state-run Anadolu Agency has reported.
The authorities previously said five of the train’s six cars derailed after “the ground between the culvert and the rail collapsed” due to heavy rain. The train was reported to be heading to Istanbul from Edirne by the Greek border, with 362 passengers and six crew members.
Meanwhile, two conductors who were detained as part of the investigation on July 9 have been released after giving their testimony to the prosecutor’s office.
In their testimonies, Halil Altınkaya and Suat Şahin told the prosecutor’s office they had not seen anything “extraordinary” on the rails before reaching the area of the crash, but once they reached the place, they “felt the shake and pulled the brakes,” daily Habertürk reported on July 10.
The two conductors have also reportedly indicated the train engine and the first wagon had advanced 120 meters after the brakes were pulled and everything happened in mere seconds.
US, Iran extend condolences
Meanwhile, the United States and Iran have extended their condolences over the deadly train crash. “Our deepest condolences to the family & friends of those who lost their lives in the train accident in Tekirdağ & we wish a speedy recovery to those injured,” the U.S. Embassy of Turkey said on its Twitter account on July 9.
The Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Turkey, Muhammed Ebrahim Taherian Fard, has also offered condolences to the Turkish people over the crash. In a message released on July 9, the ambassador expressed deep sorrow over the deaths and offered his sympathies to the families of the victims.
Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi also extended his condolences in a statement released on July 9, Iran’s Tasnim News Agency reported.