DAILY NEWS photo / Selahattin SÖNMEZ
Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Melda Onur has confirmed the attack on a forum at Yeniköy Park during a televised interview with Halk TV, saying the emergence of violent confrontations between people with different political views was worrying.
A group of around 30 people attacked a forum organized last night at Yeniköy Park in support of the Gezi protests, reportedly lead by the town’s headman, Engin Cevahiroğlu. The forum crowd was reportedly first warned by Cevahiroğlu to “stop playing pots and pans,” according to daily Hürriyet. One person was wounded as a result of the attack.
An investigation has been launched into the incident, Istanbul Governor Hüseyin Avni Mutlu said today.
Forums have started being held in various parks around the city, since the Gezi Park crowds were dispersed by the police forces, and are open to everyone who wishes to join in. Bikini women detained
Meanwhile, earlier in the day a woman in a bikini was spotted dancing at Taksim Square as part of the ongoing protests, prompting a reaction from the bystanders. One woman in particular responded harshly to the bikini demonstration, shouting at the bikini-clad Mine Dost.
Other protesters intervened and told the woman to back off and leave Dost alone to complete her demonstration. The woman this time insulted and attacked the fellow protesters, until Dost put back on her clothes to prevent any further troubles, stating that she would soon be back.
Dost reappeared at the square in the evening hours and repeated her act. This time, however, the police stepped in and detained her, taking her to the Taksim Police Department for questioning.
Dost was reportedly born in Germany to Turkish parents and is a doctor, according to daily Hurriyet.
A wide range of demonstrations has been sweeping the nation since Gezi Park, where the movement against government pressure originated, was emptied and locked down after a heavy police intervention.
A wave of what have been dubbed “standing man” protests has also appeared, after performance artist Erdem Gündüz stood in silence in Taksim Square for six hours on June 17, with hundreds joining him in similar protests nationwide.
Gündüz himself was detained by police for a short period of time, so protesters in the square placed a mannequin in his place to symbolically represent him.
Istanbul Governor's Office: No notification of missing persons
The Istanbul Governor's Office denied June 21 claims by the Bar Association that nine people were still missing after the clashes over the Gezi Park protests.
"No notification about people being missing has been made to the Police Department," a statement by the Governor's Office said.
The Istanbul Bar had said that of 146 people in unreported custody, 137 were located by lawyers but the whereabouts of nine were still unknown.