MHP leader Bahçeli accuses post-coup probe of being discriminatory
AA photoMembers of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) are still active, opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli has claimed, accusing the government of being discriminatory and ineffective in its struggle against the followers of the U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen.
“We cannot and should not let any perpetrator to slain the judicial system by excusing them for being an influential person or an acquaintance or a son-in-law of a politician,” he said in a parliamentary group meeting yesterday, referring to the recent release of the son-in-law of former Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç, Ekrem Yeter, who was detained over links to FETÖ.
Yeter was released on judicial control on grounds that his address is known.
“The release of such people over excuses like ‘his medical condition is bad’ or ‘his address is known’ damages the public’s conscience,” Bahçeli added.
He previously criticized the release of Istanbul Metropolitan Mayor Kadir Topbaş’s son-in-law Ömer Faruk Kavurmacı, who was also detained over links to the Gülen movement, due to health problems.
He accused the government of carrying out the probe against FETÖ ineffectively.
“Remnants and members of FETÖ still exist and its cells are active,” Bahçeli said.
“If Turkey is to investigate the July 15 coup attempt, terrorist organizations and traitors, it should do that with the law. There should be no pardoning of influential people,” he added.