Manhunt underway after terror attack on Istanbul nightclub: Minister
AA photoA manhunt is currently underway for a gunman who killed 39 people in an attack on New Year’s revelers at a famous night club in Istanbul, Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Jan. 1.
The gunman shot his way into the Reina nightclub at around 1:15 a.m., just over an hour into the new year, killing at least 39 people after opening fire at random inside.
“According to security works and information, the attacker is a single person. Wearing a coat and pants, he entered inside by raking through. There is an intelligence that he tried to get out with a different outfit. The evaluation of intelligence by police is ongoing. Works to apprehend the attacker by police units are also ongoing,” Soylu told reporters outside a hospital.
Soylu also said that 20 of the victims have been identified so far, as works to identify the others were ongoing.
“We are coming from the scene with our health minister and [Istanbul] governor. There has been a massacre. It is inhumane and ferocious. 39 people have lost their lives, 20 people have been identified. 15 of them are foreigners and five others are Turkish citizens. It is not clear but around four of the identified citizens are nightclub employees,” Soylu said.