LEADING NEWS SOURCE FOR TURKEY AND THE REGION

LOCAL >Istanbul’s Bosphorus closed to naval traffic amid search for missing man

ISTANBUL

Print Page Send to friend »

Istanbul’s Bosphorus Strait was closed to naval traffic for eight hours on Aug. 10 amid search and rescue efforts for a man who has been missing since last month. 

Furkan Yıldırım, 17, went missing after going for a swim off the Arnavutköy neighborhood on the city’s European side on July 15.

The Istanbul Port Directorate said in a statement that naval traffic was suspended as of 8:45 a.m. for the underwater search and rescue activities.

Rescue efforts are ongoing with coordination from the General Directorate of Coastal Safety.

A submarine with remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) and divers also supported efforts on the 27th day of rescue works.

Rescue works for Yıldırım have been ongoing for 26 days without a break.

The works are maintained from two different areas in the Bosphorus. A search and rescue A-1580 bow numbered ship of the Naval Forces is searching for Yıldırım’s body off Arnavutköy, while another crew is searching for the body nearby.

The Bosphorus, which was closed to the passage of transit ships, was opened to marine traffic at 4:00 p.m. on the same day.

The mother of Yıldırım, who has been following rescue works in Arnavutköy, said the family was “hoping for a miracle.”

“We are in a very bad situation. We have been waiting for 27 days. We have not gone home for 27 days. We are hoping for a miracle,” she said.

Yıldırım’s father said they wanted to find him dead or alive.

“Today, the search is being conducted in the place where Furkan entered the sea. My son has been lost for at least 25 days. We are just waiting. Is there any hope for a man under the sea? I don’t think so. We want our son to be found and delivered to us, dead or alive,” he said.

August/10/2017

PRINTER FRIENDLY Send to friend »

MOST POPULAR

AcerProS.I.P.A HTML & CSS Agency