Investigation launched into nursing home in Turkey’s south after images of mistreatment
ANTALYAAn investigation has been launched into a nursing home in the southern province of Antalya after images of mistreatment surfaced on social media.
The Antalya Governor’s Office released a statement regarding the investigation, in which it said no evidence of mistreatment had been observed at the private nursing home.
“The examinations carried out in the nursing home showed no signs of mistreatment,” read the statement released from the governor’s office on Oct. 5, adding that officials visited the nursing home two hours after the news of mistreatment had emerged.
The statement also said officials made interviews with the elderly and people with disabilities residing at the facility and that a check had been conducted in the kitchen to test the cleanliness of the facility.
The results “weren’t in line with the allegations of mistreatment even though the checks were conducted without notice.”
According to the governor’s office, the person who broadcast the video and who notified officials about mistreatment was a former employee of the facility who was dismissed “a couple of months ago.”
The video allegedly taken from the nursing home showed elderly people lying on beds with ants on them and suffering from bedsores. The footage caused widespread anger.