Gülenists donated around $2 mln to Clinton campaign: Democratic source
WASHINGTONSome figures from the Gülen Movement under the U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, who is accused of the July 15 failed coup attempt, made nearly $2 million donation to defeated Democratic Party presidential candidate Hillary Clinton during her campaign, according to a Democratic source, state-run Anadolu Agency reported on Nov. 12.
The source close to the party said the amount of donation made by Gülenist figures to the Hillary Clinton campaign was around $2 million, according to the agency.
Accordingly, Gülenists’ donation to the Clinton campaign amounts to three per thousand regarding the total donation to the campaign, which was around $600 million.
Among those who reportedly played key roles in the donation process by the Gülen movement to the Clinton campaign included founder of the Turkish Cultural Center (TCC) Gökhan Özkök, chairman Recep Özkan, Turkish American Alliance (TAA) head Faruk Taban and TAA CEO Furkan Koşar, the agency said.
It was revealed last year that TCC chairman Özkan donated $1million to Clinton, the biggest such legal amount of donation. He had also served as the financial head of a foundation created to support Clinton, it added.
Following Republican candidate Donald Trump’s victory in the U.S. presidential elections on Nov. 8, Ankara immediately reiterated its call for Washington to extradite Gülen, who is living in a self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania.
Earlier this week, retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who is a top adviser to Trump, wrote a piece for The Hill, saying that the U.S. should not provide a safe haven for Gülen.
In addition, according to a separate report published by USA Today in August, a company created by key coup plotter suspect Adil Öksüz, who is believed to have ties to Gülen, made a $5,000 donation to the Ready for Hillary PAC, a group that prepared for Clinton’s presidential campaign.