Former Chief of Staff Başbuğ denounces the proceedings in an alleged coup-plot case, calling for an end to what the ex-top soldier calls ‘judicial shame’
In an open letter sent to daily Hürriyet, former Chief of General Staff İlker Başbuğ calls for an end to ‘judicial shame’ in alleged coup case. Daily News Photo / Emrah Gürel
Entering the first anniversary of his imprisonment, former Chief of
General Staff Gen. İlker Başbuğ has sent a letter requesting “the end of
judicial shame” from Istanbul’s Silivri prison, where he is being held
for his alleged leadership of a terrorist organization in the ongoing
Ergenekon coup-plot case.
“How long more will judiciary power
continue to bear the shame of charging someone who led the Turkish
military with collecting and leading a terrorist organization?” Başbuğ
wrote in a letter addressed to daily Hürriyet yesterday. In his letter,
former top soldier Başbuğ also expressed his belief that the trial would
not end in a fair verdict.‘Terrorist organization in the witness dock’
was arrested on the night of Jan. 6, 2012 on charges of heading a
terrorist organization and attempting to overthrow the government.
the court board achieved the success of putting a chief of general
staff in the dock and a terror organization leader in the witness dock,”
the letter continued.
Başbuğ also hinted at the revealed
identity of a secret witness in the case. Şemdin Sakık, a former top
militant of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party
(PKK) and a close aide
of its convicted leader Abdullah Öcalan, had announced his name in the
case on Nov. 6.
Last month, an Istanbul court rejected the
acquittal pleas for 67 suspects in the Ergenekon coup case. The suspects
demanding acquittal included former Chief of General Staff Başbuğ, as
well as Republican Peoples’ Party (CHP) deputies Mustafa Balbay and
Mehmet Haberal, and retired Brig. Gen. Veli Küçük, postponed the next
hearing to Dec. 27.
‘NO ROLE IN TANK ROLLING’
Former Chief of General Staff İsmail Hakkı Karadayı, who was
freed late Jan. 3 after giving a two-hour long testimony about his
alleged role in the “post-modern coup” of 1997, said he did not play a
role in rolling of tanks in the streets of the Sincan district of Ankara
in 1997 following an Islamic gathering organized by the municipality.
incident had been seen as a threat to the government led by Islamist
Necmettin Erbakan at the time. Karadayı said that when he learned of
tanks rolling in the streets of Sincan he was angry and questioned the
incident, also adding that his deputy at the time, retired Gen. Çevik
Bir who was himself arrested in April 2012, also played no role in the
infamous incident. “Tanks used the same route every year on the road to
military exercises, but the usual road was under construction at that
time and they were forced to use the city center, where a tank broke
down,” he told columnist Fikret Bila from daily Milliyet, denying claims
that the incident threatened the government.