TURKEY tr-national
Turkey's YouTube ban taken to European court
ANKARA - Anatolia News Agency | 11/30/2009 12:00:00 AM |
A Turkish Internet association has applied to the European Court of Human Rights seeking the annulment of a ban imposed on access to a popular video-sharing site.
Turkey’s Internet Technologies Association, or INETD, has applied to the European Court of Human Rights seeking the annulment of a ban imposed on access to a popular video-sharing site.
Access to YouTube has been banned in Turkey since May 5, 2008, after complaints were made about video clips insulting Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey.
INETD President Mustafa Akgül said the group’s suit was filed in the name of the public and all those who have suffered as a result of the ban.
“Turkey is literally waging war on the Internet,” said Akgül, adding that the ban on YouTube is in violation of the Constitution and various articles of the European Human Rights Convention.
INETD had exhausted the entire domestic appeal process without any result and was thus forced to apply to the European court last week, the group’s president said.
The main aspect of the lawsuit is based on Article 10 of the European convention regarding freedom of expression.
The association said that while it is possible to filter and block certain video clips on the Web site, a blanket ban on an international sharing platform is a disproportionate curtailment of freedom of expression.
“The ban was issued without any trial and, instead of being a short-term ban, has been in force for more than a year now. There was no attempt to seek an explanation either,” Akgül said, calling the ban a legal disaster.
The ban on YouTube also places restrictions on the right to education, he said, noting that the educational content available on the site makes it a resource for universities and international organizations.
Turkey’s telecommunication authority has meanwhile said that if YouTube launches a Turkish-language version of its Web site, the ban would be lifted.
Tayfun Acarer, chairman of Turkey’s Information Technologies and Communication Board, or BTK, said Turkish officials had held several meetings with YouTube executives about lifting the ban.
“We have brought forward very reasonable proposals, such as a Turkish version of YouTube, at these meetings,” he said. “But it’s been almost three months since our last meeting and we have not gotten any news from them.”
Noting that YouTube is available in special versions created for 22 languages, Acarer said, “We expect YouTube to take a step and make a proposal for a solution.”