Sakik's relatives claim that he has been taken out of prison and transported to the gendarmerie intelligence headquartersMustafa Erdogan Ankara - Semdin Sakik, the second-in-chief field commander of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) who made headlines with his controversial revelations this week, was claimed to have been taken to the headquarters of Jitem, a gendarmerie intelligence organization whose existence has previously been denied by the authorities. Sakik was interrogated for a second Sakik's relatives claim that he has been taken out of prison and transported to the gendarmerie intelligence headquarters Mustafa Erdogan
Ankara - Semdin Sakik, the second-in-chief field commander of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) who made headlines with his controversial revelations this week, was claimed to have been taken to the headquarters of Jitem, a gendarmerie intelligence organization whose existence has previously been denied by the authorities.
Sakik was interrogated for a second time in the State Security Court (DGM) in Diyarbakir a short while ago. "Sakik is currently not in Diyarbakir prison. He was taken to Jitem headquarters after his arrest procedures were completed. It is not true that he is being held in prison now," said one of his relatives.
Meanwhile, it was reported that the security was stepped up around Diyarbakir Prison, where Sakik was originally said to have been held. The sources in the region said that activity in the area has changed lately.Does Jitem really exist?
Jitem was a name often spoken between 1992 and 1993 when the PKK's activity was at its peak in the Southeast. At that time, the organization's name was attributed to the alleged state-mafia links which were disclosed following the controversial Susurluk scandal in 1996.
Although the General Staff in recent times has repeatedly denied Jitem's existence, a report prepared by the Prime Ministry early this year about the Susurluk scandal highlighted the organization many times as well its involvement in unsolved murders, such as that of Ret. Maj. Cem Ersever, an alleged Jitem member. According to the report, Jitem was allegedly employed in very delicate operations.
The name Jitem was uttered along with a number of military incidents in the Emergency Rule Region (OHAL). Although the General Staff's proclamation that Jitem was "abolished," recent developments show that it has never been erased from public memory.Is Sakik taking part in operations?
According to regional sources, Sakik is taking part in the operations. He was abducted by the military from northern Iraq to Turkey by an elite forces team last month. It has been claimed that he has been assisting the military by showing them the secret hideouts of the PKK terrorists and aiding in the operations. According to these claims, the military's ongoing "Operation Murat" in the areas of Diyarbakir, Mus and Bingol, or the "province of Amed" as it is called by separatists, was also launched after Sakik had informed the military. The operation started several days ago and involves nearly 40,000-strong military units under the coordination of 24 generals. The operation is described as the most extensive military offensive within the borders of Turkey since 1984 when the PKK ignited the separatist conflict which has so far claimed the lives of more then 27,000 people.'PKK is behind the Palme killing'
Meanwhile Sakik's revelation that the PKK was responsible for the 1986 assassination of Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme continued to have impact in Turkey.
On Friday, the Anatolia news agency publicized the 1988 interrogation transcript of a runaway PKK member, Saniye Alatas who surrendered to the security forces with her husband. Alatas said that Palme had been murdered by the PKK but the outlawed organization had avoided accepting responsibility, believing that such a confirmation would have created an antipathy in Europe.