Bootlegged alcohol claims fifth victim in Turkey
ANTALYA - Doğan News Agency | 7/4/2011 12:00:00 AM |
A Russian tourist who was poisoned by bootlegged alcohol she drank during a yacht tour in Bodrum at the beginning of May died Monday at the Akdeniz University Hospital.
A Russian tourist who was poisoned by bootlegged alcohol she drank during a yacht tour in Bodrum at the beginning of May died at the Akdeniz University Hospital in the Mediterrannean province of Antalya on Monday.
Viktoria Nikoloeva, 22, was declared brain dead on June 21 and was being kept alive with life support systems. Her heart stopped Monday morning.
Akdeniz University Hospital head physician Dr. Abdullah Erdoğan said Nikoloeva had very low blood pressure and low blood oxygen as well as organ malfunctions. "We applied advanced treatments to our patient in order to overcome the toxic effects of methylene and its effects on the composition of her blood. Russian doctors who came to oversee the treatment appreciated our efforts to cure Nikoloeva."
Erdoğan said they were saddened by some false reports broadcasted on Russian TV stations. "I extend my condolonces to the family." he said.
Maria Shalyapina, 28, Zalyaeva Auilia,22, Alexandr Zhbckov, 24, and Marina Shevelyova, 22, all died in the past months due to the same alcohol poisoning incident.