Beşiktaş appeared before the Court of Arbitration in Sport (CAS) yesterday in its bid to overturn a UEFA
decision banning them from playing in the Europa League this season due to financial irregularities.
Club lawyer Emin Özkurt told Anatolia news agency that the Swiss-based CAS would announce its decision before July 9.
Beşiktaş, along with Bursaspor and Gaziantepspor, was excluded in May from playing in European competitions for financial misdemeanors. Last month, however, Bursaspor’s ban was overturned and the club was cleared to enter the Europa League qualifiers.
Özkurt also said the club, who was excluded for “delays in payments,” might be forgiven for having a new administration. Beşiktaş
faced several cases regarding the payments during former Chairman Yıldırım Demirören’s helm.
“[New chairman] Fikret Orman is taking a realistic approach and is decidedly taking on the issue,” Özkurt said. “I hope that they will appreciate this approach.” Eskişehirspor will take Beşiktaş’s spot if the Black Eagles are not allowed into the Europa League.