Australia bans Huawei from 5G network over security concerns
CANBERRA-The Associated Press
The government said on Aug 23 that the involvement of a company “likely to be subject to extrajudicial directions from a foreign government” presented too much risk.
Several governments have been scrutinizing Huawei over its links to the Chinese government. The private Chinese company started by a former People’s Liberation Army major in 1987 suffered a setback in the U.S. market in 2012 when a congressional report said it was a security risk and warned phone companies not to buy its equipment.
Huawei has said it would never hand over Australian customer data to Chinese spy agencies, but the government’s statement said no combination of security controls sufficiently mitigated the risk.
Acting Home Affairs Minister Scott Morrison said the government was committed to protecting 5G networks.
The decision also affects ZTE Corp, a Chinese maker of mobile devices.
The U.S. House Intelligence Committee previously found that Hauwei and ZTE, which is partly state-owned, were tied to the Chinese government and that both companies failed to provide responsive and detailed answers about those relationships and about their U.S. operations.
Huawei denied being financed to undertake research and development for the Chinese military, but the committee said it had received internal Huawei documents showing the company provided special network services to an entity alleged to be an elite cyber-warfare unit within the People’s Liberation Army.
Lord at the time urged Australia not to be swayed by the U.S. report, which he said was about protectionism rather than security.