Around $4 bln in FETÖ immovables seized and transferred to state: Minister
AA photoIn line with the probe over the July 15 failed coup attempt, thousands of immovable properties owned by alleged members of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) worth 12 billion Turkish Liras ($4 billion) have been seized, Turkey’s environment and urbanization minister said on Sept. 1.
“Some 2,514 immovable properties owned by FETÖ were seized and transferred to the Treasury and 2,083 to the General Directorate of Foundations, in addition to some 1,148 immovables… which the terror organization [FETÖ] had attempted to hide. Thus, some 12 billion liras of assets are now recorded for the name of the state and the public,” Environment and Urbanization Minister Mehmet Özhaseki told Anadolu Agency’s Editors’ Desk.
Courts ruled for the seizure of property and possessions owned by many alleged FETÖ members after identifying them as providing financial support to FETÖ, as part of the probe over the failed coup attempt.
Özhaseki also said that at least 30,000 houses in seven southeastern districts had been damaged due to terror attacks, and they need to be rebuilt and distributed to residents in the upcoming period.
After Turkish security forces cleared outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants from residential areas in the region, the minister said extensive damage had been surveyed in Diyarbakır’s Sur district, as well as in Mardin’s Nusaybin, Hakkari’s Yuksekova, and Şınak’s Cizre, Silopi and Idil districts.
“At least 30,000 houses should be built in seven districts. These houses should also be distributed to residents,” Özhaseki.
He also said that the citizens who suffered from damages up to 10,000 liras ($3,300) were paid in the region in the initial stage, adding it was not time to turn to compensation for damages up to 30,000 liras ($10,000).
“We want to build houses for our citizens whose houses were damaged for more than these amounts,” he added.