Ankara governor’s office extends public rally ban for 3 more months
The office said it based the decision on grounds that there might be public demonstrations for the hunger-striking educators Nuriye Gülmen and Semih Özakça.
It said the ban included hunger strikes, sit-in protests, commemoration activities and public concerts.
In a statement, the governor’s office said the measures were taken after they receivied intelligence that there would be demonstrations for the strikers.
Gülmen, a literature professor, and Özakça, a primary school teacher, launched their hunger strike on March 9 in protest at their dismissal from their jobs with state of emergency decrees introduced after last year’s coup attempt.
The two educators were then arrested on terror charges on May 23 and have been continuing their hunger strike in prison.
Özakça was released from jail on probation on Oct. 20, but Gülmen remains in jail.
The ban came on Sept. 25, with the office announcing that there had been uncontrolled events happening in protests in the past in the crowded streets of Ankara and adding that the protests could endanger public safety.
“Singing songs, singing the national anthem in a disturbing way, screaming slogans, arranging press conferences or doing such acts in any way is strictly forbidden” they had announced.