Tuesday, September 13 2011 , Your time is 15:58:00
A once-retired general leading a sweeping offensive against Islamists has been named head of the Libyan army loyal to the country's internationally recognised parliament, an official said
BENGHAZI/TRIPOLI - Reuters
The United Nations pulled its staff out of Libya where at least 13 people have been killed in fighting in Benghazi and in Tripoli, forcing the closure of the international airport
ABUJA - Agence France-Presse
Villagers from a northeast Nigerian town where Boko Haram Islamists abducted more than 200 schoolgirls on Friday appealed to the United Nations to intervene because of worsening violence in the region.
TRIPOLI - Reuters
Heavy fighting broke out July 13 between rival militias vying for control of Libya’s main airport, killing at least three people and forcing a halt of all flights
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria - Agence France-Presse
A truck exploded in a huge fireball killing at least 15 people on Tuesday in the northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, the latest attack in the area repeatedly hit by Boko Haram Islamists.
KAMPALA - Agence France-Presse
At least 96 people have been killed in four days of clashes between tribal gunmen and Ugandan troops in the west of the country, the army said Tuesday.
KANO, Nigeria - Agence France-Presse
An attack on churches in northeast Nigeria blamed on Boko Haram killed more than 50 people, an official said on Monday, overshadowing festivities ahead of a last-16 World Cup match against France.
MAIDUGURI - Agence France-Presse
More than 60 women and girls abducted last month by suspected Boko Haram militants in northeast Nigeria have escaped their captors, sources said
KHARTOUM - AFP
Egypt, the Gulf countries and now Algeria "would like to see Sudan as part of this alliance in order to isolate Qatar and Turkey, who are... the main supporters of the (Muslim) Brotherhood Movement," University of Khartoum political scientist Safwat Fanous told AFP
MOMBASA – Reuters
Gunmen killed at least 29 people in raids on two separate areas on the Kenyan coast, the interior ministry said
Two Turkish citizens were kidnapped in Libya late on June 24 and their whereabouts are still unknown, a Turkish Foreign Ministry official who wanted to remain anonymous has said
Daily News - Follow us on